Tuesday, December 7, 2010

One extra unplanned night away from home


It’s 4:00am in the morning and I’m here in an airport hotel two flights away from home … wide awake … ! I’m safe and sound, and got 7 hours sleep. So why am I here and not home …

Bangladesh isn’t the easiest place to travel to from Appleton, WI.  A month ago when I made my travel plans I decided to travel through this city for reasons at the time were perfectly logical but which, in hindsight, were flawed. I have become aware that there is only one direct flight to Appleton from here and it’s in the evening … if it gets cancelled your options are very limited.  As my flight approached yesterday evening the departure time kept slipping – first 15 minutes, then 30 minutes, then another 30 minutes, then an hour, and finally 3 hours after I was supposed to depart they cancelled the flight – a “mechanical” problem - and here I am, a guest of Wyndham. At least the airline had the decency to put us up at a hotel.

I wonder why the phrase “all my eggs in one basket” didn’t pop into my mind when I told the travel agent this itinerary was fine … Duh! You would have thought I’d have learned this lesson a long time ago, but “No”, I had to save this one for later in life. Chicago's looking good as a hub for future travel. At worst it's only a three hour drive in a rental car.

All things considered I’m a very lucky guy. I’m warm, I have a roof over my head, I’m not hungry, I’ve had a good sleep in a soft comfortable bed, a hearty breakfast awaits, and I’ll be home by noon. In the grand scheme of things really not too bad … I just hope my checked bag makes it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment