Saturday, December 4, 2010

A Sombre Message

The following just came over CNN while I was working at the desk in my room. I wasn't really paying attention but all of a sudden I was transfixed by the words. It certainly makes you realize how fortunate we are to be born in countries where the 'c)' thoughts don't even arise.

She is born. Do you …
a) Celebrate your new daughter
b) Paint her room pink
c) Curse that she was born a girl
She is six. Do you …
a) Open an account for her education
b) Buy her that pink dress
c) Get her up at dawn to fetch water from the well
She is twelve. Do you …
a) Consider that first sleep-over
b) Buy her a mobile phone
c) Sell her into marriage to pay for her brother’s education
Poverty gives some people few choices and unfortunately it’s the girls that suffer most! It doesn’t have to be that way.

Didn't want to be depressing but it's such a powerful message I thought I'd pass it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment